Monday, September 23, 2013

9/11

9/11

I know 9/11 is always one of those do it or don't kinds of things, however I was in upstate NY when the twin towers were hit and had many family friends living in the city, so for me it is definitely a do! I brought in a newspaper from September 11th, 2002 and told them about a few of the important facts. We also watched a great video from PBS about what really happened that day in (thank goodness) child proof explanations! We than talked about how people in our community help us stay safe and are there to help us in times of need. I always love hearing their thoughts on how firefighters, police officers, nurses, doctors, etc. have helped them. It amazes me sometimes how much these children have experienced at such a young age. I also forget that these kids were not even born yet when this happened so it is not as traumatic for them. I found this great Thank You For... sheet on TPT (it's down right now so I will link later!) and printed out blank flags for them to glue on the back. Right now they are on my bulletin, but soon they will make their way to the local phoenix fire department.  Here is a pic...


And in First Grade

The day we will never forget! I didn’t realize that my kids weren’t even born when this happened!!!! I know it was twelve years ago and my kids are only six/seven but this is such a huge part of our American history. As we were sitting in morning meeting and my students were being shown pictures of what happened I saw their eyes get huge and they were shocked at what they were seeing. Some of my kids came and sat by me and asked me why someone would want to hurt people.

On our way to the classroom all my students could talk about is the pictures they saw and how sad it was.

I got my kids settled down and told them we were going to watch a video that would go over the events of the attack. The movie started and I have never seen my kids more quite and shocked! I had a student start crying because they were so sad at what happened. They were in shock with what they were seeing. One of my students turned to me and asked me if this was real. I told them yes. Someone really did plan an attack on the USA and flew planes into the twin towers and thousands of people died because of it.

After the video I read them some facts to help answer some of their prying questions they kept asking.

We did an activity which included making the American flag and writing a letter of who they would like to thank.



No comments:

Post a Comment